While using the WordPress CMS platform to build a website, it’s worth taking good care with SEO optimisation on the site so that it can be found as easily as possible by the Google bots.
In order to do this, I use the most highly acclaimed WordPress SEO plugin by Joost de Valk. Of course, Joost has done the clever & hard work himself and there’s little to do on our part in optimising it once it’s been installed. However, it is useful to really understand how it works and why we need to tweak as we do:
- First up, set the permalinks structure to, neatly, reflect the post name. It’s easier for people to read and it’s the name picked up from the ‘slug’ – which should, incidentally, reflect the page’s keyword.
- Set up the templates from which all new pages & posts (amongst others) will pick up a structure to use to build the all important title. The rule of thumb is that the first part of the descriptor should be around the page or post’s focus keyword, followed by the brand.
- Now, enough is setup that you can go to each page or post and activate the SEO software to assist you to build the meta data for that page. The software will have picked up the info you’ve put in to the templates. You’re ready to roll.
- Complete your page configuration by adding, by hand (no robot can do this for you) a sharp representation of the subject in focus, not forgetting to include your focus keywords. Configure each page / post until the traffic light system gives you a green ‘good for SEO’ light. Incidentally, meta keywords are a thing of the past. Google no longer uses the keywords meta tag in website ranking
- Optimising images so that they mean something to the bots and load quickly. The size of images should be carefully considered (and reduced) to that just necessary to load an excellent version on screen without loading up all the data that was created when the picture was taken. I’d recommend optimising them prior to uploading them so you know the job’s done well and you’re not relying on anybody else’s programs to do the job for you. Then assist SEO by naming the files accurately and creating good alt tags.
Dee Stevens Web Studio can work with you to fine tune your content for SEO. Get in touch to tell us what you need.